Elections for 234 constituencies of Tamil Nadu Legislative Assembly will be held on May 16.
After decades of duels between the DMK and the AIADMK, Tamil Nadu faces the possibility of a five-cornered contest in this year's Assembly Elections. The various parties in the fray include AIADMK+, DMK+, DMDK, People’s Welfare Front and PMK.
Smaller players are also gearing up for the post-Karunanidhi, post-Jayalalithaa period in which they believe the political space is bound to open up.
Here's what you need to know:
|Date of Issue of Gazette Notification||April 22|
|Last Date for Nominations||April 29|
|Date for Scrutiny of Nominations||April 30|
|Last date for withdrawal of candidatures||May 2|
|Date of poll||May 16|
Assembly Election 2016 -PO Training Video tamil:(new) Click Here
Assembly Election 2016 -PO Training Video Close of Poll tamil:(new) Click Here
ELECTION 2016 : DUTIES TO BE DONE BEFORE ,DURING & AFTER POLL WITH TWO REVISED POINTS
Facilities for voters
In a bid to encourage more voters to exercise their franchise, the Election Commission has taken several measures.
* For the first time, EVMs will feature a symbol for NOTA. The symbol was created in association with the National Institute of Design, Ahmedabad.
* The photographs of candidates will be printed along with their names and election symbol in the EVMs.
* The Commission will distribute voter slips bearing the photo of the elector with the details, including that of polling booth, his/her serial number in the electoral roll.
* Every polling station will be equipped with basic minimu facilities such as drinking water, toilets, shed and ramp.
* Model polling stations will be set up in select constituencies.
* Separate polling booths for women will be set-up, wherever possible.
* Differently-abled votes will be given priority in exercising their franchise.
* Auxillary polling stations will be set up inside Blind Schools and leprosy sanatorium.
* Voter Verifiable Paper Audit Trail (VVPAT) will be used in select constituencies.
* All critical events will be videographed.